Grow a Winter Garden
Don’t let the cold weather stop you from growing a garden. Consider planting winter-friendly crops and flowers this season.
For vegetables, try:
• Leaf vegetables, such as lettuce, spinach and kale – make sure to keep your soil moist!
• Root vegetables, including carrots, onions and garlic.
• Flower buds like broccoli and cauliflower – these bloom best in colder temperatures.
• Pods, such as snap peas and sugar peas.
To add some color, go for:
• Marigolds – ranging in shades from orange to bright yellow, these will thrive from fall to spring.
• African daisies – these hardy flowers perform well in California’s mild winters and come in a variety of vibrant colors.
• Pansies – these bloom in multiple colors and last throughout the winter.
• Snapdragons – tall and lush, these add color and foliage to your garden.
• Sweet alyssums – these are hardy enough to endure freezing temperatures and self-seed to provide year-round flowers.